WILLING WORKERS BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY
1947 - 2021
In the year of 1947, a group of members under the leadership of Rev. Horace Moore met in the home of Brother and Sister J. Bluitt located at 3502 Wyrick and organized themselves into a body known as the Willing Workers Baptist Church. Seven months later the Church moved to a building on Salina Street, where praises were rendered to God for eighteen years. During the year 1966, the church was forced to relocate because of the expansion of the Houston Independent School District. In February of 1967, the property was purchased and a building was erected at 6900 Weaver Road. Reverend Moore continued to carry out the mission of the Master and moved us to greater accomplishments.
Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Rev. Moore extended an invitation to Rev. James C. Carrington, Jr. to succeed him upon his retirement. On December 31, 1978 Rev. Moore presented the proposal to the church and Rev. Carrington was accepted unanimously. On January 7, 1979 Rev. James C. Carrington, Jr. accepted the post as pastor of the Willing Workers Baptist Church and immediately challenged our church family to strive to reach the mark of excellency.
As we profile the accomplishments of Pastor Carrington we are reminded of the scripture Jeremiah 3:15 “And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.” We have no doubt that God has given us a pastor who exemplifies the qualities of a prayerful, humble, and submissive servant and our church has continued to grow through his dynamic teaching and preaching.
Continuing to act to the dictation of the Holy Spirit, Pastor Carrington was led to remodel our edifice in 1985 and on August 14,1988 we shared in our groundbreaking service for the expansion of our sanctuary and the addition of seven new classrooms and a fellowship hall was added. Pastor Carrington was led to remodeling again in 2002 which was completed in April 2003. The sanctuary was expanded and a tape and video room along with a receptionist area were added. In 2006 land was purchased for a New Sanctuary and Life Center.
The Lord smiled on us once again and allowed a second location to be birthed on April 13, 2008 in Texas City, Texas. In June of 2012, the Lord blessed us to purchase our present building of worship at 801 29th Street North. Texas City, Texas where He is blessing us beyond measure.
During the thirty-nine years of leadership Pastor Carrington has ordained twenty-one deacons and twenty laymen have announced their calling to the ministry. Our Church has grown tremendously under Pastor Carrington’s leadership. Our Church is known as One Church in Two Locations.
Our Motto is: A Church that’s not seeking the lost is lost and Our Mission is: To be witnesses for Jesus Christ. First in our homes, in our communities, and in our jobs. The Holy Spirit is our Comforter and the Bible is our guide. We are a Church that’s willing to work and working to win. Our Church is on the move for Christ.
Pastor Carrington structured our Church to function under Department Heads. We have the Worship Arts Department, Sanctuary Service Department, Christian Education Department, and General Auxiliaries Departments. These are departments that help support the Church. We also have ministries that support the needs of our members such as Marriage Ministry, Single’s Ministry, Youth Ministry, Young Adults Ministry, Senior Saints Ministry, Men’s Ministry, Transportation Ministry, Kitchen Ministry, Sick and Shut-In Ministry, TV and Radio, Tape and Video Ministry. All these Ministry are designed to meet the needs of our members.